Are you excited? You say you're not that excited now, but once you realise that this countdown ends on Friday you're going to be very excited. Why? Because you can listen to the top 100 songs of the year all weekend. It's got highs, it's got lows... play them all and watch a party take some interesting turns! But that's not until Friday. Before then, we've got forty more bangin' (and I guess not so bangin') tunes to get through. On with the show!
111. Clare Maguire - Ain't Nobody
110. Ball Park Music - It's Nice To Be Alive
109. The Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness
108. Coldplay ft. Rihanna - Princess of China
107. Coldplay - Paradise
106. Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull - On The Floor
105. Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
104. Professor Green ft. Emeli Sande - Read All About It
103. Cage the Elephant - Around My Head
102. Warpaint - Warpaint
101. Adele - Rumour Has It
100. Beirut - East Harlem
99. Ida Maria - Cherry Red
98. Digitalism - 2 Hearts
97. Washington - High Treason
96. Ben Lee - Get Used To It
95. Oh Land - Sun Of A Gun
94. Wolfram ft. Hercules and Love Affair - Fireworks
93. David Guetta ft. Sia - Titanium
92. Kimbra - Old Flame
91. Little Dragon Nightlight
90. The Rapture - How Deep Is Your Love?
89. Beirut - Santa Fe
88. Architecture in Helsinki ft. Sally Seltmann - W.O.W (Invisible Version)
87. PJ Harvey - The Last Living Rose
86. Emeli Sande - Heaven
85. TV On The Radio - Will Do
84. Dr. Dre ft. Eminem and Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor
83. Boy and Bear - Feeding Line
82. Monarchy ft. Britt Love - You Don't Want to Dance With Me
81. Gotye - I Feel Better
80. The Drums - Money
79. Liam Finn - The Struggle
78. Little Boots - Shake
77. Neon Indian - Polish Girl
76. Kitty Daisy and Lewis - Don't Make A Fool Out Of Me
75. Beastie Boys ft. Santigold - Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win
74. Bon Iver - Holocene
73. Lykke Li - I Know Places
72. Florence + The Machine - What The Water Gave Me
71. The Black Keys - Run Right Back
70. Sneaky Sound System - Big
69. Rihanna - We Found Love
68. Florence + The Machine - Only If For A Night
67. The Naked and Famous - Punching In A Dream
66. Slow Club - Two Cousins
65. Kasabian - Switchblade Smile
64. The Ting Tings - Hang It Up
63. The Good Natured - Skeleton
62. Fever Ray - The Wolf
61. Kaiser Chiefs - I Dare You
60. Hercules and Love Affair - Painted Eyes
59. Jay-Z and Kanye West ft. Otis Redding - Otis
58. Justice - Civilization
57. Blaqstarr ft. Talib Kweli - War Of The Roses
56. Evanescence - Lost In Paradise
55. Britney Spears - Till The World Ends
54. Amanda Palmer ft. The Young Punx - Map Of Tasmania
53. Kimbra - Good Intent
52. Feist - How Come You Never Go There?
51. Yelle - Quex Veux-Tu
50. The Grates - Turn Me On
49. Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans
48. Seeker Lover Keeper - Light All My Lights
47. Matt Walters - St. Peter's Gate
46. San Cisco - Awkward
45. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
44. Adele - Turning Tables
43. Florence + The Machine - No Light, No Light
42. Kate Bush - Snowflake
41. Sneaky Sound System - We Love
#40 - Techno Fan
by The Wombats
Shut up and move with me, move with me,
Or, or get out of my face...
You can dance to Joy Division as much as you want, but The Wombats really know how to make you want to move!
#39 - Major
by Asteroids Galaxy Tour
You're the best, you're the most,
You're the toast of the Barbary coast.
Speaking of acts that make us want to move from left to right on a d-floor, it's Asteroids Galaxy Tour! These great Danes are on the verge of becoming one of the next big things in music, with their much anticipated sophomore album, Out of Frequency, set for release in January. 'Major,' the first single from the album gives us a perfect taste of what to expect; distinct pop sounds, party-starters and the vocal stylings of the beautiful and talented Mette Lindberg. 2012 is already looking pretty good.
#38 - I Wrote The Book
by Beth Ditto
Heartbreak and then some, tell me where is a friend when you need one,
Before you take a second look, remember I know every trick in the book.
Beth Ditto getting her 'Vogue' on? If you told me that's the direction The Gossip's leading lady would be heading in for her solo work, I would have laughed. In your face. Luckily no one picked it, she surprised us all by being as amazing as she always is and most importantly, you don't get to say, "I told you so." Gossip album in 2012 anyone?
#37 - Starlight
by Rachael Yamagata
I couldn't see a thing tonight,
Not one star, not one star has shone for you.
There's something deliciously PJ Harvey/Shirley Manson-ish about 'Starlight.' Rachael Yamagata has always held the ability to make my draw drop in amazement with tracks like 'Elephants' and 'Duet,' but the slightly darker edge (with a healthy dose of rock star attitude) is working very nicely from where I'm sitting. If you agree, I suggest you go and grab yourself a copy of one of this year's most criminally underappreciated albums, Chesapeake.
#36 - The Last Dance
by Clare Maguire
I got my life in my hands and your love in my heart...
I got my life in my hands and your love in my heart...
#35 - Pull Out My Insides
by Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Well, you lied to me like it's never been done before,
Well, you lied to me, you lied to me.
How did this song seem to disappear into the Abyss of Forgotten Pop Hits? What is wrong with the world? The only thing that offends me (yeah!) is that 2011 release, Don't Say We Didn't Warn You isn't being talked about enough as one of the most energetic albums of the year that holds a wealth of replay value. That... and Brian McFadden.
#34 - If The Night Is Dark
by Seeker Lover Keeper
See the more I reveal, the more lonely I feel,
What was one is now broken, broken in two.
Damn you, Seltmann!!! That's of course Sally Seltmann I'm referring to, twice discussed already in the countdown as a witch for her ability to create musical magic. She's crafty. By crafty, I mean she crafts perfect pop songs that leave you under her spell. Words don't do this songs justice, so just listen and love.
#33 - Night Of Your Life
by David Guetta ft. Jennifer Hudson
I could have your hands tied, round my body all up on me,
Boy you'll be stuck to me, If I wanted with no release.
Sex! I mean... sexy. So very, very sexy. Bringing in J. Huds was an inspired move Guetta. A move that provided us with the best song on your album. Who wouldn't want to dance to this?
#32 - Solid Ground
There's too much worth living for, too much worth living for baby,
I'll show you...
Listening to this makes me strongly dislike the fact that it's only Tuesday. You can't go out on the town on a Tuesday. Or can you?
#31 - Lonely Boy
by The Black Keys
I got a love that keeps me waiting...
One of my current goals is to memorise the entire dance from the 'Lonely Boy' video. That way, whenever I hear it I can immediately stop whatever it is that I'm doing and dance as well as the awesome gentlemen we can watch above. The song? It kicks all kinds of behind, but this is the Black Keys. Talking about how they're dominating seems a bit redundant at the moment.
See you tomorrow!